Images of Oakville and Watertown

Photographs, antique postcards and scenes of days gone by

Read More

Old Nova Scotia Schoolhouse

Experience what school was like in Watertown over a century ago

Read More

Digital Collection

Check out historic issues of the Town Times, Watertown High School Yearbooks and more

Read More

Established 1945

P.O. BOX 853
Watertown, CT 06795
watertownctmuseum@sbcglobal.net

Please follow “Watertown Historical Society” on Facebook.


The Barrett House

Buy your tickets for the 12th Annual
House Tour Fundraiser today!

(Click here)

 

 


Download a copy of
The Westbury – Spring 2017
(Watertown Historical Society Newsletter)

 

About The Society:
The Watertown Historical Society was organized in 1945, with the objective of collecting local history. Through the years members have researched aspects of the area, our schools, industries, and families. Settled in 1701, known as Wooster-Westbury and finally Watertown, our community has certainly grown. Documents and artifacts collected mandated storage, and from 1968 to 2016, the Fire District generously donated the second floor of its building at 22 Deforest Street as a museum site. The collection is currently in storage while the society looks for a new home.

The primary goal of the society has always been to preserve Watertown history. The collection illustrates the town’s expansion in all districts, including Oakville, Guernseytown, Winnemaug, Linkfield, etc. Although we cannot fulfill any research requests while the collection is in storage, our digital collection of the Town Times newspaper from 1947 to 2000 remain accessible through this website. We also have a fine selection of Connecticut state and local histories, and a wide genealogy area.

The society is eager to enlarge membership and active participation. Since its inception many new residents have moved into Watertown, many of our young people have grown up, and the town has increased in population.

Board Members

Board Members
Co-President – Linda L. Merriman
Co-President – Brigitte Crispino
Vice President – Jan J. Guidess
Secretary – Elizabeth Rebers
Treasurer – Kendra Scapeccia
Curator – Kristina L. Atwood
JoAnn Zanavich
Stephen J. Bartkus
Nancy C. Maton
Elizabeth C. Porter
Robert F. McCarthy
Julie S. Reiff
Michaele Kusaila

TOWN TRIVIA*:
What was the original location of the old Nova Scotia Schoolhouse?
And what year was it moved?

Answer:

At the corner of Thomaston Road (Route 6) and Fern Hill Road.

It was disassembled in 1990, and in 1993 the Nova Scotia Schoolhouse was restored and relocated to its current site in Munson Memorial Park on Deforest Street.

Join us at the Schoolhouse on Saturday, September 16, from from 1 to 3 pm
for a Back to School Open House.

*From the spring newsletter.